Saturday, June 9, 2012

[25] Superheroes Wear Faded Denim Guest Blog




Law Reigns has an odd obsession with romance. At the advice of her friends, she gave up the plight of playing cupid in their lives. Developing her own characters to manipulate proved to be more rewarding. After having studied creative writing at the University of Florida, she decided to write Superheroes Wear Faded Denim. A proud Gator alumni, she based  her novel where blood runs orange and blue. She personally invites all adventure druggies and love fanatics to dive into the pages of Faded Denim, a story that transforms a swampy, southern town into a battlefield for life and love. 
 Connect with Law Reigns:
Website Facebook Goodreads Twitter Pinterest 


“Telling the story of a young woman who had to undergo a transformation to achieve greatness was important to me.”


Back Cover:


Blissany Cherry is tired of sleeping around. Her neurologists’ sleep solutions have failed her. Now that her bizarre sleeping habits have begun to include week long dreams she has resorted to her own methods for a cure. 

            METHOD ONE: CONTROL DREAMS. All attempts to morph dreams about a gorgeous warrior into romantic fantasies are thwarted. He keeps on insisting she is destined to marry a great king and lead their armies into war. At the end of every dream he asks her: will you fight the war and save mankind?   

            She laughs in his face.

            METHOD TWO: RESIST! Blissany has plans for her life. None include fighting an intergalactic war.  When her dreams begin spilling over into reality, she is forced to make a decision that will forever redefine her life. Standing between destiny and desire, she is left with only one option.
            METHOD THREE: SURVIVE. 

Why this story:

I wrote this story for three reasons:       

    1. As a narcoleptic, I wanted to inspire others by writing a story about a character who struggles to overcome sleep. Harriet Tubman’s story inspired me. For those who do not know, she was also a narcoleptic. She most certainly did not let it bother her. Anyone who faces obstacles in life will be inspired by this story of triumph.   
    2. Telling the story of a young woman who had to undergo a transformation to achieve greatness was important to me. Life will always ask more of us, more than we sometimes even think we can give.  
    3. I wanted to capture the beauty and culture of my college experience. There are so many different types of people we meet in college. Many stories do not even try to convey this. 





When grammar can choke on imitation-leather!

I didn’t have 1500 for an editor. Few do, except for my sexy Italian husband who lives in my imagination.
Truth be told, I do not regret all those wasted dollars on Pizza Palace’s chicken parmigiana. A person’s made to live like a fork is made to dance in pasta.
Yet I knew if I was going to get published, whatever I released to the world had to scream: Prada!
Somehow my crappy, far-from-Dickens writing would have to be recycled into fertilizer. Fertilizer good enough for roses.
How to do that? Tackle grammar.    
Grammar’s the knife in my throat just waiting to be twisted, and I wanted to tell it to go choke on imitation-leather.
I didn’t.
Knowing writing was always one step away from giving me a full head of white hair, I prepared.
People always claim to have started writing from an early age. Well I started reading “how to edit your manuscript” from an early age.
At age 10,  I knew grammar was out to get me. He was recruiting his little friends, syntax and style, just waiting to ruin my dream of becoming the Audrey Hepburn of literature.
I subscribed to Writer’s Digest, all the while thinking to myself, ‘take that, you dirty son of a gun.’
I recruited an astute writer to read over my manuscripts. When she told me, “Your writing deserves the sales section at Wal-mart,” I believed her.
I took creative writing classes, read books on point of view, and took it to critique groups.
When I got scared, I joined associations like Romance Writer’s of America and Sisters In Crime. Those ladies had no idea what I was getting them into. They were better than the CIA, offering me inside information on the writing industry no one else could.
People always tell me never to self-edit, but they never tell me, “Don’t read.”
Listen. Publishing, whether traditionally or independently, is an expensive business. If you don’t have money for an editor, you’re going to have to break some nails to get your book published. Take my advice.
Go read Gotham’s Writers’ Workshop, and attend writing classes. Become addicted to Grammar Girl. Then after that, go study the books on your shelf. Really examine how the author uses literary devices and punctuation. Ask yourself this question: can my book even make it in Wal-mart? If it can’t, then you’ve written something for the fishes.
My mother always told me if you want to beat a man, “flirt with him good, and then leave him with his pants around his ankles.”
That’s what I did. I flirted. I flirted hard with grammar, syntax, voice, style, and all his measly friends. You can call me a tease, but it helped me finish my fantasy Romance, Superheroes Wear Faded Denim.

Don’t believe me? I invite you to read an excerpt of my book on Amazon, and connect with me:
---
Leave a comment for Law Reigns!









---
Okay, here is a thing I NEED TO SHARE WITH YOU. 

Descended by Blood and Dream Walker are free now! DOWNLOAD THEM FAST! I have already read Descended by blood and loved it and Dream walker is waiting for me on my shelf ;)

xoxo,
disincentive






3 comments:

  1. Great article. Now here is an unusual perspective on writing. Superheroes Wear Faded Denim must be very entertaining should it follows in style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new report by the Boston Consulting Group BCG reveals the
    extent of the disorder is student loans
    people now so common that it merits inclusion in the 2012 edition.

    He said he needed food, so we hopped aboard the Geekmobile.
    I find it amazing that young people need in the forefront, ASUS embodies the passion to create products that truly enhance the computing experience.
    This autoresponder-thingy gained steam when my friend Tom launched Aweber.
    student loans people marketing is steered from the choices you make in the spur of a moment.


    Feel free to visit my web blog; Student Loan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
They make me really happy and I always try to reply :)